Monday, March 12, 2007

Pow Wow and the Big Bang Drums


With his mind freshly piqued by dignified dances in honor of the Great Spirit at two-in-a-row pow wows this past weekend, my six-year-old asked me the biggest question that I have yet to find an answer for.

"Mom, so I was thinkin', who invented the first people and how were we invented?"

"Uh, whaddyou' say, honey?" I tried to clarify through the bathroom door, hoping it wasn't THAT question.

He stood on the other side of the door for a moment. "I said, you know, where did the first people on Earth come from?"

Let me think on that one a while. (I suppose I've had plenty of time. He started asking this same question when he was three.)

My trailing answer started like this, "Well, the Muslims believe in Allah ... and the Christians believe ... and the Buddhists believe ... and the Jews believe ... etc."

Hey, I did the best I could.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Lara said...

hooray for powwows! i miss my powwow dancing days. (me = part cherokee)

sorry for the awkward questioning. when i was a nanny, my five-year-old charge asked me what happens to people when they die. er...

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job. Thats exactly what I said to my daughter.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger crazymumma said...

I think thats a great answer. I give what the great religions believe, then I give what I believe...the scientific explanation. They will make their own decisions somewhere along the line...

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whew... that's a big one... I better prep for that..

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger hellomelissa said...

whoa. heavy duty topics! we have a book called "what is god?" that i get out whenever one of "those kind" of questions comes up. it gives the kind of answer that you obviously did. nice save!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger OhTheJoys said...

You need to draw a cartoon ...

"What I said"...

"What he heard"...

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger karrie said...

Ah, sometimes its so well, nice to be an atheist!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger jeanie said...

I followed fairly much the same thing - lots of people believe lots of different things, but we don't really know for sure.

One problem with being a bit wishy washy about the god thing (which I am - respect all beliefs, nfi what I truly believe) is that the next question is "does god live in Australia?"

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

namaste- the God in me respects the God in you

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the Wife,

Since I know that you will probably read the comments on your blog before you check voicemail, cell phone or email account so I am posting my message here cause I know that you will read it.

Just wanted to wish you good luck tomorrow. I am sure that the call will go great.

The Hubster

 

Post a Comment

<< Home