Monday, March 05, 2007

Sleepless City Night

"What's that noise, Mommy?" Cheeks asks half-asleep from his top bunk.

He's woken up and caught me peering between the dusty slats of his white faux wood blinds at 1 in the morning.

"Whatcha' lookin' for, mama? You didn't tell me what 'dat noise is."

"Oh, little man, it's just a big helicopter that's trying to land at the airport. A really special helicopter, so it's taking a long time. There's nothing to worry about. Just go back to sleep."

"Is that police guys outside?" he asks, raising his frizzy bed-head from his pillow again.

The flashing lights of four or five police cars refact off the walls of my sons' bedroom, on and off their bunk beds again and again.

"Nope. I think someone left their lights on their car. You know the flashing ones they use when they double-park."

Cue mega-amplified booming voice from the searchlight ghetto bird circling above our street, and what seems specifically to be our home, which is now completely illuminated with overhead light.

"Drop your weapons and surrender. We know where you are. Come out before our search dogs find you. They will bite. Surrender. You are surrounded."

Repeat scary message from the sky five or ten more times until all the children in the house are awake and you send your husband to double-check that all the windows and doors are securely locked and that no one is hiding out in the garage.

Try to explain that one to your scared kid in the middle of the night.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that nearly tops my experience of driving up to a friend's house for playgroup at exactly the same moment that the SWAT team decide to storm the house across the street. Picture many men in Kevlar vests with guns drawn and then pencil me and my two children into the mix. Another exciting day in Miami...that one prompted a relocation!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I would have been naked on my lawn with my hands high in the air.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot top OTJ...LOL!

Let's just say, we've been there too.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack, I used to get that a lot when I lived in Los Angeles, but that was pre-kids. I'm sorry you had such a rough night!

And Jessica: how would that be different from any other night? ;)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Mama Sarita said...

uuuuugh...I am sorry.

Something similar prompted a move for us as well. Very scary stuff.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger hellomelissa said...

ah, what -- fond?-- memories you've dredged to the surface of living in the greater los angeles metropolitan area.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Well I guess I should quit complaining about my small town existence in the other LA (lower Alabama).

Scary.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Lara said...

man, unlike all these other folks, i can't understand at all. i've never been through anything like that. i'm not sure how i'd comfort myself in that situation, let alone my kids. i'm glad you're all okay.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Iris said...

I will no longer complain about living in Redneck, Alberta

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, yikes.

We had a couple prisoners escape from the prison in town a while back and they were caught on camera in the mall parking lot. Our backyard is separated from the parking lot by trees. And my husband works third shift. Scary world.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell them that's what happens when they don't listen to mommy- just kidding- but wouldn't that be a great way to get them to listen!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home