Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Post That Bounces Around Like Wild Wingbats

A drunk woman came to my door early this morning begging for money. "No, seriously," she stammered, swaying and obviously under the influence of something. "I live down the way and my husband's boss just called me. Three of his fingers were cut off and I just need some cash to get gas and bring him to the emergency room, you know? Can you help me out cuz I don't have nuttin'."

Are you kidding me? I shooed the kids away from the door, told her we were on our way to school and that I'm sorry, no help, no money. WTF? This is the second time I've heard that story in two years.

Last week someone hacked into my checking account and tried to pilfer upwards of $3,000 in wire transfers from me. 'Jokes on them.

I think my hacker robber gleaned my information when I stupidly entered beaucoup identifying facts into a "security investigation" email I received from what I truly believed was PayPal. I handed to them on a silver screen platter.

Yeah, hard lesson. DO NOT enter your precious banking information into even the most official looking PayPal emails if you didn't contact them first. Geez.

In somewhat related matters, I spoke with one of my college roommates, a very close friend, last night. She was forced to sell her Silicon Valley area home and begin renting again. Except their was a strange, fortunate twist to her story. A realtor is buying her house and renting it to her, so she and her husband and four-year-old son won't have to move after all. She said in a defeated moment, hunched over the toilet with rough bout with the flu, she threw her hands up and "gave it up to God."

This is terrible, I know. But in moments of defeat, I weakly give it up to Ben and Jerry. Preferably the deepest, darkest chocolate Ben and Jerry's flavor I can find at the 'hood 7-Eleven.

Now in completely unrelated, happier news, I took my two youngest to a park we'd never tried before and they bounced around like wild wingbats. We had a great time. We laughed, we cried. Well, we didn't cry. We just laughed, and, dang, it feels good to laugh with your children. Those gutteral laughs that bubble up to the surface for no good reason. Just because. Just because you are pretending you're pirates and they've just made you walk the plank (slide). Just because they shot their hot pink flip flops into the sky like fireworks as you pushed them higher, higher, higher on the swing. Just because a strange elderly lady (accidentally) made up like a clown shocking red lipstick and baby blue lined eyeliner is pushing her poodle like a baby in the swing next to your kid. You laugh, just because.

Because you are alive. The sun is shining. Your kids are healthy. You feel fine.

You laugh because you are over crying. Because your children think you are the richest, funniest, coolest person on the planet. You laugh because they are innocent and young and they make you feel young.

You laugh.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Mama Sarita said...

The simple things bring such joy....

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This odd lady that lived next door to me once always asked to borrow money for cigarettes. My hubby always told her that he loved her too much to give her money to smoke. LOL. That's crazy about the lady coming to your door. Did she have teeth? that's always the first sign, no teeth or rotten ones. I'm glad your day got much better. Trips to the park are always a pick me up!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Lara said...

i don't know if this will help or not (especially with the last post), but thought i would share. i only found out sometime in the last few months that we were pretty much broke when i was growing up. my dad's salary only covered the mortgage, so everything else had to be paid for out of my mom's part-time sales work for mary kay. we were barely scraping by from month to month, and i had NO IDEA. neither did my sister. we rarely got new toys, and the ones we got were things like plastic kazoos or rubber superballs. and we loved them.

when you love your mom, and she loves you, it's easy not to notice minor things like finances. and i know you love your kids. :)

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in Boston it is either a woman--who seems truly down on her luck--asking for money for 'fuel for a family of seven', or women claiming not to have money for a train ride home.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have found some balance and I am glad. Our family was sort of like lara's: we didn't have a lot extra because the mortgae, utilities and food pretty much took everything my dad made. But we had no idea we were broke.

And it is patently obvious that you do love your kids. Hang on to that.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I used to live near(ish) to the highway and I would always get someone at the door all f-ed up saying that they broke down and left their kids in the car on the highway.

Oh no you dint!

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I just today gave it up to Ben and Jerry: Phish Food never makes it to the freezer. Sheesh. my bad.
glad you had a gut laugh today. good for the soul.

We should meet at a park some day, here in LA. commisserate.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

When things get weird......a moment of time being silly with your kids puts it all in perspective.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Em said...

Just sounds like you are having a couple of tough days. Personally, I turn it all over to the Chunky Monkey variety.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nike outlet, polo outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet store, uggs outlet, christian louboutin outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, gucci handbags, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, uggs on sale, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, replica watches, christian louboutin uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet online, tiffany jewelry, uggs outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home