Thursday, March 01, 2007

Good Morning Racing Mother's Mind

Disappointment. That about sums up my morning so far.

'Good thing it's early.

Mouth, who I think I switched to calling The Lawyer, then to The Great Communicator (why can't I settle for a blog nickname for that boy?!), spiked a fever again last night, just when I thought he was better. He started showing symptoms of flu on Sunday, fell very ill on Monday and Tuesday, and seemed completely symptom free yesterday, except for the right-at-bedtime-surprise-I'm-baaack fever. What gives?

Now I'm really worried. You know how mothers are. We agonize everything.

Right now my agony goes a little something like this:
Shouldn't I have taken him to the doctor by now?
Why did I only call not go in?
What makes me think I can handle this on my own?
Shouldn't I take him in to have him weighed?
Why don't I ever use a thermometer when taking temperatures?
Why am I so old-fashioned, only using my cheek or the palm of my hand?
I wonder what his new school thinks of their latest arrival missing what is now four days in a row?
How is my little man under the weather feeling?
Why do I always let my husband convince me that practically no medical issue warrants medical attention?
Did he even try to convince me this time or am I buying into his beliefs on the issue? Isn't that just passing the buck? C'mon.
Isn't what he has viral and therefore not able to be cured by antibiotics, so wouldn't the doctor simply tell me to do what I'm already doing - Pedialyte, the BRAT diet and plenty of rest?
What if it is Rotavirus? My friend mentioned that, now I'm freaking out.
I hope he's not dehydrated? It's so much easier when they are still in diapers because you can count the number of "pee" diapers.
Do I need to start counting how many times he pees? Shouldn't I have done that yesterday?
Was I so caught up in writing and work yesterday that I didn't pay attention enough?

Wow, I'm friggin' neurotic. These are the nagging questions ricocheting around my cranium right now.

My gut says forgo school again in favor of the doctor. I'll drop my little Cheeks off at preschool with Pigtails and sickly The Lawyer/Mouth/The Great Communicator in tow, then head straight to the good doc, where we should have gone earlier.

See mom? You were right. Never go against your mother's intuition.

I'll keep you posted.

*BTW, I still want to follow up with Part 2 of my breastfeeding memoirs, as well as blog about leaving kids in the car while you're 5- to 10-feet away at the ATM. Is it true that we all do that or is it just me? What are the laws regarding this in your state? I always opt for the drive-thru ATM first, but sometimes I have to go for the outdoor cash machine. Something tells me that if I'm turning this topic over in my mind I must already know the answer to whether or not it's right or wrong.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Iris said...

Just what you wanted, more advice from Slacker Nurse.

Lets see.....to quell your fears.

Taking him to the dr will likely garner the response you are expecting, it is viral and there is nothing more you can do than fluids and rest. You can handle it on your own. Thermometers are for amateurs, basically, touch their forehead with the inside of your wrist, if it feels hot, they have a fever, treat fevers with Tylenol or Advil, or alternating both if the fevers are not staying down. Screw the school. I won't comment on the husband, he is your problem, not mine...*G*.... Rotavirus causes watery diarrhea and vomitting and fever. Children get dehydrated. The only treatment for Rotavirus is fluids. Only if severly dehydrated do they need medical intervention. Severe dehydration is shown by decreased skin turgur, (pinch his skin on his arm, if it takes more than a second or two to return to normal, he may be dehydrated.) Dry mucous membranes. Ask him if he is peeing, and don't be too panicked if he isn't going as often as you'd like.

You are an awesome mom. And I am sure you are already gone to the dr..... Hope you are having a better day

As a side note, word verification word = drgovy

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Mama Sarita said...

I hope your little Great Commmunicator feels better soon. My mom's side of the family is from a very small island in lake erie...I have had to overcome the whole 'never going to the MD unless your arm is severed' mindset myself. Sometimes I have under reacted, othertimes I have over reacted. But it sounds like you are doing everything your guy needs.

I hope he feels better soon!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Sarahviz said...

Ahh..that mother guilt. Gets us every time! It's gotten to the point that I should practically have my own chair at the pediatrician's office after this winter. I figure, a $15 copay is worth the PEACE OF MIND!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Kit said...

Hi I've just arrived here from Charlotte's Web and am already enjoying your writing, so much. Great summing up of motherhood paranoia, which I always go through, even though I know fever is a healthy body response and is doing its job etc etc.

As for gun toys - my thoughts are that they'll shoot each other with sticks or fingers anyway, the important thing is to teach them not to shoot their mother at point blank range and learn some gun etiquette - locking weapons away in a box after use...if only that worked as a ruse to get the house tidied up.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I second what Iris said.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger guadalupeMARS said...

I must admit that my kids are in the car when I'm getting cash. I have issues with it, I worry, but really when are we as mothers worry-free. We could drag our kids from the car and have them hovering around us as the machine spits out our money, but then we could worry about someone robbing us because they see our kids with us and figure we are an easy target. We will worry about one thing or another, so what is the difference?

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup. I use the ATM with my kids 10 feet away, too.
Sometimes I feel better if I lock them in and keep the keys close in my pocket. Sometimes I feel better to keep the windows down and talk/shoult back at the car to keep my toddler reassured that I'm still "with" him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home