Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Membership Has Its Priveledges - Dining on Burnt Dogs in the Sick Club


Can you tell that I'm desperate to get my flu-stricken son to eat and drink?

I'm SO not above baiting him with Pedialyte in a WINE glass. Have you ever tasted that stuff? Pure salty schwag, I tell ya.

He was scrawny to start but now he's looking even more threadbare minus two fever-melted pounds. The evils (flu germs) are having their way with his lanky bod.

Mouth is ever sharp, even when he's ill. And he's milking to his advantage.

"I'm too weak to bring my plate up," he feebly whispered for added effect this morning. As long as he is as dog-sick as this, I'll let him get away with it.


Sweet bed head, mister.
This is his third day in a row missing school. Poor little trooper.

Anyone have any tricks for making the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) diet more palatable to picky kid eaters?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Iris said...

there is nothing appealing to the BRAT diet....but I can suggest not bothering with the applesauce... it is proven to cause more stomach upset

water, gingerale, pedialyte if he needs it, yogurt to replenish the bacteria in the gut that gets flushed away with diarrhea, soup broths for the salt that they need, jello, toast is good too, soda crackers.........there is a lot of stuff. Stay away from all fruit and fruit juices

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Popsicles usually work better than Pedialyte here. Gatorade tastes better, and does the same thing.

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and honey has antibacterial properties. Maybe mash half a banana, drizzle with a little honey and coat one of those toast doggies?

I generally skip the whole BRAT thing in favor of what sounds palatable. If there is anything reasonable nutritious that he loves, I'd offer a small amount and see how he tolerates it.

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger ellie bee said...

basically give him anything he will eat or drink--and nothing that you don't want to see again.
True words of advice..trust me, I really am a doctor!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger ewe are here said...

With my toddler, it's all about the ice. crushed ice, ice spoons.... at least he stays hydrated. The food can come later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home