Saturday, December 16, 2006

When All Else Fails Bust Out the Glitter

Lucky me. I'll be picking petrified glitter glue out of my kids' freshly cut blonde hair until 2007.

I'm not going to bother to excavate the flaking sparkly bits from my 2-year-old daughter's pliable nostrils, which she apparently thought were the target of her glitter glue tube, instead of the rustic wooden snowflake ornament she was supposed to personalize/make a holiday colored disaster of for her grandparents. My husband's taking care of that major clean up right now in the back shower. Yay for me.

My five-year-old, the Maestro of Mouth, is steeped at the moment in his surprisingly hyper focused creative Christmas zone tonight. He's channeling Christopher Lowell without the lisp and with a full head of hair.

It's adorable to watch him trying so bloody hard to color in the lines while sweetly, earnestly sounding out "I L-l-l-ove You, Nana." Pride wells up in me while he patiently teaches himself to spell out, then write his affections for his British grandmother, who just happens to be in town for the holidays. Huge "Aw, shucks," factor.

My mother-in-law, who hopped the pond just two days ago to visit the grandkids with their Grandpa, is stricken with the flu. She's down for the count and is considerately avoiding our abode in an effort to spare us her germs. "I think it's the British winter sickness," she told me on the phone from her hotel room today. Never heard of that one but I'll take her word for it.

My little man under the weather, Moody Cheeks McGee, 3, turned out to only have an ear infection, not the flu. I'll settle for a bacterial infection over a viral infection any day. At least we can cure him fast with antibiotics. Now if we could just locate a pill to cure him of constant crankiness.

Tonight I hope the kids go down well so I can over obsess line by line as I work on my book tonight. Before then, I'll be using my fingernails to scrape spirals of glitter glue off the dining room table.

Maybe next Christmas we'll skip the homemade presents. Nah. The kids really love getting crafty-messy. And it keeps them quiet long enough for me to blog senseless blog entries.

4 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

we are making cards for the wrinklies and have glitter glue EVERYWHERE!

I put down a plastic cloth on the table so it was saved but I think the dog is sparkling.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger mad muthas said...

good luck with the glitter glue. we got some stuck to the (antique) french-polished dining table over 8 years ago now ... and it's still there today! i used to love all that earnest artistic endeavour. nowadays, it's all clip art and pdfs! enjoy!

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger ewe are here said...

Our toddler came home with a 'glittery' card he'd made at nursery. It was great -- especially because the mess was the nursery's problem!

As for British winter sickness, can't say I've heard of it either, and I'm living in Britain at the moment. Hmmmm.

 
At 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they ever come out with a crankiness pill, give me a call!! I have a over-dramatic 10 year old girl who could use one!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home