Monday, December 04, 2006

L'Eggo My Bunko Kitty and the Mystery of Why Kids Wipe Boogers Everywhere but on Tissues

So, okay, I showed up to Bunko/ladies' night out last night a half-hour late and three bucks short of what I was supposed to contribute to the kitty.

But I had a peace offering. A very sopping-with-saturated-fat-in-a-good way peace offering. Homemade bacon-wrapped cheese and bread balls. According to the Bunko ladies, anyone who wraps food stuffs of any kind in dead smoked pig belly is good in their book, even excused for their tardiness, the tardiness that held up the entire game.

My lateness karma came full circle within minutes, as I scribed one L for loser after another on my Bunko score card. I did roll a full Bunko once between sharp bites of cashew brittle and gooey peppermint bark but it wasn't enough to keep me at the winner's table very long. Not long enough to win my lacking kitty contribution back.

Excuse me but a small human being coated in her own sick is pulling on my arm right now. I'll finish up later between swabbing small humans free of their own phlegm. In the meantime, here's a snippet of a letter I emailed to my generous worker bee husband a minute ago:

We've had a fun morning drawing super hero robots, making OJ together and mopping up one another's sick juices flowing from one nostril or another. Mouth (5) and I drew a very cool and super functional super hero robot lair/house. Pigtail's (2) been tempestuous and needy, per her usual as of late. Who is that little girl lately? Is this her terrible two turn? I don't recognize her and fail to have as much patience with her as you have seemingly effortlessly. She is your "best girl" though.

Have you figured out yet why the kids feel the need to smear their boogers on their sleeves/the couch/the dining room tablecloth/the carpet/the bathroom countertop? What's so hard about using a tissue? And as far as I know, boogers have no nutritional value so why does one kid in particular continue to insist on eating them? While I'm at it, what's so tough about flushing the toilet? The boys can't even remember to put the seat up and wash their hands!

Thanks for lifting me up so much yesterday. My winter funk is in full swing, which is abundantly clear in the last tearful 24 hours. I'm over-eating A LOT, feeling sluggish A LOT and just feeling unsatisfied with crying, booger encrusted kiddies demanding so much of me. Thank you for carrying us all, even though you probably could use a piggy back ride yourself. The stress of the holidays and not having enough to do all that we want to do is tough for us all right now. Hiking is free. Some museums are free, so we'll satiate my stir crazy-fueled need to go, go, go with the family without a problem, I think. What are you needing right now and how can I help you meet those needs?

Tonight I'm going to cross my fingers that you come home before astronomy class b/c I'm making you some marinated drumsticks, seasoned rice and Caesar-ish salad. Nothing too special but better than last night's sad Mac N Cheese with canned corn offering.


I'll try to dust today, mop the floors and re-vacuum every room since you unknowingly vacuumed with no bag b/c of one little pesky set of hands that removed it and stuffed it under our bed. Poor thing. I'm also washing the kids snotty sheets and the remaining big people laundry.

My mantra today is "finish your tasks and have more PATIENCE with the kids." Of course, per norm, I'll empty/refill the dishwasher, feed the kids every two minutes it seems and accordingly clean up their rejected food crumb tornadoes. I can't be one of the crying kids today like yesterday.

Hope your meeting goes well. Hope the drive home from San Diego doesn't suck. Thank goodness for talk radio and your tape recorder for free thought freeing.

I love you and appreciate all that you do.

Thank you a hundred times over and thanks for letting me go to Bunko last night. It really lifted my mood. When are you going out to get your "me" time?

14 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger chandra said...

Hi,

i have my own views on daycare, and therefore have avoided them...
a day care can never substitute YOUR Love, which a child needs 24/7/365....

your profile says you are interested in Buddhism and Eastern ...

may i invite you to :

chandrasart.blogspot.com

warm wishes

chandra

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger TopChamp said...

Your kids are very cute! I hope they're well soon.

I linked to you from Caylynn's blog as part of Click & Comment Monday.

Off now to wikipedia 'bunko'....

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger ewe are here said...

Oh oh. Does this mean that because I myself wipe my little boy's nose with his shirt, or my fingers which I then transfer to his shirt, when I've got nothing at hand, mean I have 'boogers everywhere' to look forward to?! Aah! I must try harder to have tissue available at all times!

It's really nice that you communicate with your husband like this; he sounds incredibly supportive.

And, I have to admit, I don't know what 'Bunko' is either.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o.k.... so really, when did this bunko playing start???

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Domestic Slackstress said...

Have I piqued a little Bunko curiosity. It's mainly a socializing game which incidentally avoids dice. Only a person such as myself who has difficulty concentrating on more than one thing at a time could screw it up. And I did. A lot. Lots of fun ladies. A few good drinks. Lots of dice rolling. Lots of laughs and a little money, depending on the suggested contrib. to the kitty.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the heck is bunko???
I'd rather be cleaning up snot than puke, which is what I'm dealing with over here!!! LOL. I have no sympathy for you!!! Oh, wait, I am cleaning up snot, on top of puke....go me.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger ewe are here said...

You know? It has occurred to me that the best way to erase the images of snot everywhere is to complete a meme, such as, oh, say, a cheerful Christmas meme.

Like so:
http://thereeweare.blogspot.com/2006/11/christmas-meme.html

Consider yourself tagged, Ms Queen of Bunko. ;-)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger AtYourCervix said...

My boyfriend and I just learned Bunko last night! However, I'm sure it's a much rowdier version with 14 of your closest friends and lots of al-kee-hol!

BTW, you've been tagged for yet another meme:

AtYourCervix

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Domestic Slackstress said...

Yes - my meme tag dreams have come true!!! Zut alors! Quel supris!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Domestic Slackstress said...

Thanks At Your Cervix (awesome name BTW) ... Double Meme Heaven. Now I'd better get to work ...

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

They smear snot everywhere BECAUSE THEY CAN.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Oh how I can relate to it all... it seems that I have laundry duty (and I am talking 6 loads each time) every 3 days what with towels used on spills and boogery clothes and god knows what else...

... as for tears and finances... got the latest up at my place but let me just say that it entails a temporary loan from mom, yeah, it has been THAT bad (almost 3 years of no income thanks to this hell hole called Spain can do that to the best of us)...

... but yes my friend, find your center and laugh... laugh, laugh, laugh because crying will give you a headache and headaches are just not good and well, not a good complement to the winter funk (and MAN can I relate to that seeing that I totally suffer from SAD... Seasonal Affective Disorder)...

... bottomline, I feel for ya my sistah and so know where you are coming from so many boho hugs coming your way FO SHO! Besos...

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sick mommy time sucks. UGH. Esp in winter.

Feel better. Stay away from boogers.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say,

I laughed so hard at "Excuse me, but a small human being..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home