Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Huffing 101 - Kindergarten Style


My son tells me kids are "getting high" sniffing glue at school. He also told me all about sex, as eagerly explained to him by a classmate. He is in KINDERGARTEN. I guess what they say about KGOY (Kids Growing Older Younger) is true.

Time to dust off my mushy parent-kid "talk" skills. The petrified egg "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs," probably won't cut it with my overly informed Lawyer/son. It sure didn't work on this child of the 80s.

Anyone else with kindergartners in this same predicament?

... Yet another reason to feel kinship with the Polish man who Rip Van Winkled for 19 years and woke up shocked at the state of the world.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I can relate. Recently my 3 year old son said, "Uncle Doc had to go to the hospital because he was hurt." to which my 6 year old responded, "No, he had to go to the hospital because he was DRUNK." Yep, she knows all about it. Ack.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe this post! And that in just a couple of years my sweet innocent toddler will be exposed to this. Maybe my husband is right. Maybe now IS the time to let her start watching The Simpsons. :-)

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my just-turned-five-year-old asked me "Mommy, do you and Daddy do sexy?" WTF???
one love

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap... I better prepare myself for these things... 3 boys in a row - the oldest is 2 - I'm not ready for this! :) LOL I completely forgot about those commercials about your brain on drugs - wow, blast from the past! Love your blog... !
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls
www.pinksandblues.com

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger SUEB0B said...

Scary stuff!

I think the best thing to do is keep the lines of communication open and to make sure he always knows he can talk to you about anything. Also not to use scare tactics. Admit that drugs make people feel good, but that they are also dangerous, and explain exactly how.

It sounds like you are already doing good if he will come to you to tell you this stuff.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Scribbit said...

Holy cow. Kindergarten?

I've got my youngest going in this fall and that's just scary.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger karrie said...

Hands in ears *lalalalala*

Holy fuck. I am not prepared for this stuff hitting the fan in another year or two. I thought I had at least until 4th grade or so. Ugh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home