Thursday, June 07, 2007

All Signs Point to ...

Me. Apparently I'm the one behind my son talking about sniffing glue at school. Well, maybe.

A few weekends back the kids gathered around the sticky kitchen table to dump frozen fruit into the blender for smoothies. I'm one of those people who can't do anything without background music. The only tunes on the countertop (I couldn't leave them alone with three ultra sharp blender blades, right?) were the Ramones. I slapped the CD into the player and let it rip. Who knew my six-year-old would listen so hard, especially with the blender churning away.

Here are the lyrics to the Ramones song he told his teacher "my Mommy always plays for me at home:" (Always? What the? To my knowledge he's only heard it that one time!)

"Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue"

Now I wanna sniff some glue
Now I wanna have somethin' to do
All the kids wanna sniff some glue
All the kids want somethin' to do

Bang head. Slam fist. Blend smoothies. Pay no attention to repetitive lyrics in the background. Pay hefty price by looking like an ass in front of son's homeroom teacher and other kindergarten teachers who teacher alerted, as well as the lone parent friend I told. Make bad huffing joke to teacher while trying to recover from total goof-up, then look like I know more than fair share about sniffing glue. Oops again.

Repeat: I am a fool. Duh.

At least I don't let the kids listen to some of my old N.W.A.

Yet.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger Lara said...

wow, i can think of so many songs now that would be bad to play for kids. i mean, jeez, what if i played "everyobody wants to rule the world"? that could be bad for everyone...

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger anthony said...

I have some Henry Rollins spoken word you can borrow...

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Barb Smith said...

The Ramones with Smoothies...Snoop Dogg with Brownies? LOL

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger SUEB0B said...

When people of my mom's generation wanted to tell each other to shut up about something in front of the kids, they would say "Little pitchers have big ears." Some things don't change.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

I have you beat on the Ramones my 3 year old knows all the words to I Wanna Be Sedated, except he sings "I wanna be tomatoed"
There is nothing wrong with educating our children about all types of music. It makes me laugh when my sons says "aye oh lets go!"

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Alexandra Bitchford said...

My four year old nephew's new favorite is "All I Really Want is Girls" by the Beastie Boys.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger jeanie said...

ha ha ha ha - the radio station I prefer tends to get switched regularly when 'salina or friends are in the car.

But hey - even the music from the 50s can be misconstrued.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. Hard for me to admit -- but I bought Green Day for my first grader -- and no I didn't get it at Wal Mart. I had been listening to the edited versions on the radio, and didn't even think about maybe it was being censored.

He took it to school for share. He asked me "what does "not appropriate mean?"

Oops.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Honeybell said...

After listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers "Torture Me" my five year old has been singing Talk to me with sauce on me!

Your little man has some great ears!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger crazymumma said...

At least it wasn't Beat on the Brat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home