Monday, March 19, 2007

Clutter Endorsed At Last

The house is eerily quiet. Everyone but me is miraculously nestled quietly in their beds. I'm guzzling sugar with coffee and cream at a dangerous clip. My burnt toast is scratchy going down but buttery enough to be do-able.

Here I am, anchoring myself for dear-life in the midst of my cluttered computer desk, when I'm scanning the day's top stories on Yahoo when - what should magically load on-screen before my eyes - a professionally packaged news story that hails, not derails, clutter queens like me.


Can this be real or did I stir the wrong powdery white stuff in my cup of Joe this misty, smog bogged Southern California morning? Was I possibly viewing another spoof story from The Onion? Nope, we're talking REAL news, people.

Spookily croon on in my head Mister Phil Collins ... "I've been waiting for this moment for all my life ..."

What better time to suggest that all y'all neat freaks fall off your perfectly dusted, primped and shined anally-perfect, hyper-mod pedestals from West Elm and EAT MY WELL-ACCUMULATED DUST!

While you're at it, all the Type A perfect pants might as well eat what's left of the suspicious, mystery elephant animal cracker that just trickled mostly in soggy crumbs from beneath a stack of accordion-ed papers that should have been neatly filed away in my imaginary filing cabinet a year or two ago AT LEAST!

Check the story out if you can see your monitor at this point, that is past your leaning tower of mess.
Clutter and Mess Trump Clean and Neat

Who am I kidding? I abhor my cluttered up junk piles. I can hardly find anything when I need it, even my precious ones' muy importante vaccination records at times. Now that's bad.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A person after my own heart. I even have more space to clutter since we got our iMac with the screen that fits all the way back on the desk. I'll check out the story on Yahoo. Great blog. I smile the whole time I'm reading.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Lara said...

i abhor my clutter too, but unfortunately, the clean desk never lasts very long. neither does the clean room, the clean kitchen, etc. amusingly, i used to be much neater when i was living with my fiance. it was only after we broke up and i moved out on my own that i lost all ability to keep things organized and tidy. ah well. live and learn. :)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Hooray for clutter! Actually, I'm at the point where my clutter is overtaking me, so it is becoming a problem. But my average pile of clutter is actually easy to maneuver for me, and besides, who has time to constantly clean and sort?

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Em said...

I always knew my piles of crap indicated a genius at work! I want copies of that article for everyone I know!!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Liv said...

oh, sweetie...i suck at housekeeping. i loathe myself for not getting better at it after all these years, and yet somehow i keep seeing the gorgeous early spring weather and choosing outside time with the kids over cleaning up ground in goldfish and juice boxes each and every time.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger cce said...

I envy you all the ability to ignore the clutter and RELAX. It's not easy being a cleanliness fanatic, just ask my Better Half or my children.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am always trying to find polite ways of telling the doctor's office that I rely on them to keep track of vaccinations and such. I've kept it up for 8 years, but I feel the veneer is fading and pretty soon they'll find out the truth.

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this so speaks to me!! I am not an organized person, so much so that my husband continually tells me if I ever sorted out the piles of crap on my side of the bedroom I might find Jimmy Hoffa in there. If I became more organized what would he have left to complain about? Really, I'm doing him a service by giving him such an outlet.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have dedicated "junk" drawers that I clean out once or twice a year: always feels like I'm in an archeological dig..when will I ever find the time to recycle all the batteries and empty cartriges? How did we get so many throw-away cameras and what is on them? Why do I always keep broken parts? Where do you put 1 oz. of specially ordered auto paint?

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger hellomelissa said...

mine is clean yet cluttered... what does that say?

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a theory that some people are neatniks (me) and some are messy. And you can never change those facts.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate clutter too -- it keeps me up at night -- but I find I do little to get rid of it. But I am pretty good at hiding it.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I love clutter, but have to say that in the last month off work, my house has never been cleaner. Show off? Nope just trying not to get too bored and eat!
lol

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have plenty of clutter, but the important papers are FILED, in folders, alphabetically by subject. Remnants of the old days when I was an executive secretary. My house is tidy, but not spotless. Cleaning energy goes into my gardens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home