Saturday, January 20, 2007

Competitive Breakfast of Siblings

no_whining_plaque

Breakfast should be as simple as choosing between cereal or waffles. Toast or bagels. Juice or milk. Should be.

Instead, when a relatively routine morning meal unravels into an all out competitive sibling cereal contest (i.e. who has more in the best/worst Bob the Builder bowl, who can cram more Chex up their nose, etc.) like it did this morning, the choices become more about punishment than nourishment, more about shutting down than waking up.

Time out or confiscating a toy. Sending eye booger crusted offenders to their rooms or cancelling the day's play dates. Creamer in my coffee or Bailey's Irish cream. One Advil or two.

Instead of peacefully welcoming the day with a few pleasantly crisp English muffin bites, I desperately inhaled my caffeinated lifeline with a bitter gulp of whine. Whine spit in my face from the wise ass mouths of my babes.

You moms doubling as short-order breakfast cooks like me know all too well what I'm talking about. I give you the following, whether you ordered it or not: (To breathe extra annoying accuracy into the snippets below from breakfast at my kitchen table this morning, please insert your own kid's nasally whining/demanding voice)

"I WANT milk!"
"He has more milk than me! NO FAIR!"
"Not in this cup! I wanted the Buzz Lightyear cup!"
"But he STILL has more!"
"You may have more than me, but mine is better."
"MINE, MINE, MINE!"
"More juice!"
"I want gum, not cereal. Where's MY gum?"

Next, the discord escalates from verbal to physical.
"He threw a Kix ball at me!"
"She pushed my cereal bowl!"
"He dumped his milk on my chair!"
"I'm gonna' pull those staples out of your boo boo if you keep doing that!"

Between demands and complaints, I punctuate their every command/cut down/complaint with, "What's the magic word?" and "How do we ask like a gentleman?" and "We use our words, NOT OUR HANDS!"

Oh, and "Get your face outta' that cereal bowl. We are not a dog!"

Whining. I HATE whining, unless I'm the one doing it. Especially when I'm trying to jolt myself awake with hazelnut flavored black sludge.

Remind me again. I forgot. What's the "best part of waking up?"

Hey, wait, am I the one whining again right now? Smacks of the classic "Do as I say, not as I do." Whatever.

Bottom o' the mornin' to ya.

8 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention what I suspect to be true:

That this has all just occurred before 9AM on a Saturday morning.

Sometimes my childless friends will say something like, "I'll call you in the morning. What time is too early?" In which I say "5AM?"

They always think I'm kidding.

Oh, the agony

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Em said...

Oh DS, you bring back such memories! LOL My kids are older now...so the breakfast bickering isn't so intense. But in the younger years, my wife and I always considered it a good morning if everyone got on with their day and no children were killed in the process. LOL

Thanks for stopping by my blog! That led me to your blog...which I love!

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Scribbit said...

Your comment made me laugh.

And don't you hate feeling like a short-order cook at meal time? EVery one wants something different. Ack!

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Sara said...

My toddler just said "mine!" to her older sister for the first time. So it begins. . .

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whining is the very worse thing in the world. I hate the sound. It grates on me like nails on a chalkboard....I'm sorry.

I tell my daughter now (even though it hasn't worked yet) I can't hear you when you talk like that. Speak like a big girl, then I can hear you...I figure another gajillion more times and she'll get it.

Thanks for visiting too...

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR!!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Slackermommy said...

Whining makes me crazy! It can drive me to very dark places.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

I am just going to come down to your house and hold you and sob 'I know!!!!'....yeah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home